In an effort to adhere to the new Pennsylvania Child Protective Services Law Requirement, all volunteers must obtain background check clearances prior to volunteering for iRun4Life. These clearances are good for 5 years.
The primary objective of the Background Check Screening Policy is to protect all the children who participate in our running programs. A secondary goal is to protect our parents and all volunteers who help make iRun4Life a success.
If you already have your background checks completed, please upload your forms to the Link Box on the right.
If you need to submit for your background checks, please follow the Instructions below.
Instructions for Background Check Screening
A. PA State Police Criminal Background Check (http://epatch.state.pa.us/Home.jsp)
1. Click 'New Record Check' (Volunteers Only)
2. Page down, check the Acknowledgment box, then click 'Accept'
3. Fill out the personal information page – (Volunteer Organization Name: iRun4Life)
4. Personal Information Review - Click 'Next' then 'Proceed'
5. Fill out Record Check Request form and click 'Enter this Request' then 'Finished'
6. Record Check Request Review page – click 'Submit'
7. When you receive your results via email, save the file on your hard drive. Then upload the file in the Link Box on the right.
B. PA Child Abuse History Certification (www.compass.state.pa.us/cwis/public/home)
1. Click 'Create Individual Account'
2. On Welcome page Click 'Next'
3. 'Create Keystone ID: Profile Information – create a Keystone ID password and fill out form. Then click 'Finish'
4. Check your email for your Temporary Password. Copy this password. Then re-login the website, but click on "Individual Login".
5. Click 'Access my Clearances' – go to bottom and click 'Continue'
6. Enter your Keystone ID (the one you created) and paste your temporary password they sent you. Click 'Login'
7. Create your own password and click 'Submit'
8. Close window and re-login using your NEW password
9. Click 'Agree to Terms and Conditions' then 'Next'
10. Scroll to bottom of page, click 'Continue'
11. Click 'Create Clearance Application'
12. Click 'Begin'
13. Click "Volunteer Having Contact with Children', Volunteer Category: 'Other', Agency Name: 'iRun4Life', Click 'Next'
14. Fill out Personal Info
15. Fill out Address Info
16. Fill out Previous Addresses
17. Fill out Household Members
18. Check info, Click 'Next'
19. Enter signature, then 'Next'
20. Application payment – 'No'
21. Submit application
22. When you receive your results via email, save the file on your hard drive. Then upload the file in the Link Box on the right.
C. Affidavit or FBI Criminal Background check
1. Sign the Volunteer Affidavit Disclosure Statement (if you have lived in PA for 10+ continuous years), ( link to PDF below ) then upload the file to the Link Box on the right.
2. FBI Fingerprint Based Check (if you have lived in PA for less than 10 years) (www.pa.cogentid.com//index_dpw.htm.)
Go to Registration Procedures and follow the instructions. There is a $25.75 fee for this clearance.
When you receive your clearance, please upload the file to the Link Box on the right.
D. Adult Volunteer Handbook
In order to protect all elementary school students in iRun4Life's afterschool running programs, every adult volunteer is required to read the following information and sign the electronic signature link.
Adult Volunteer Requirements
- All adult volunteers must submit criminal and child abuse clearances before they can volunteer with children in an iRun4Life after school running program. These clearances must be uploaded to the iRun4Life website at www.iRun4Life.com/html/background.php. These clearances must be updated every 5 years or as often as state law requires.
- If an adult has ever committed a crime, then they cannot be an iRun4Life volunteer.
- This handbook must be reviewed and signed annually before the beginning of the after school running program. Updates to this Handbook will be made each year, and may include changes required by State laws on definitions and reporting requirements. By signing this Handbook, it is acknowledged that the volunteer will review the information available on their State's website.
- A discussion on Child Abuse, Mandated Reporting and the importance of this topic will be reviewed each year at the iRun4Life School Director's meeting which is held in January of each year. The School Director will be responsible to inform their volunteers of any additional information from this meeting.
iRun4Life After School Program Policies:
- All School Directors will ensure that all of their adult volunteers have submitted/verified their background clearances and have signed the Volunteer handbook.
- All School Directors and volunteers will ensure that no child is left alone at any time during the after school running program.
- It is required that at least 2 volunteers are responsible for a group/team of children. There will be no one-on-one training or isolated interaction with any child at any time.
- All School Directors and volunteers will ensure that at the end of the training session, all children are accounted for and are safely sent home or sent to after care.
Policy and Procedures for State Mandated Reporting for Suspected Child Abuse:
- What is Child Abuse?
Child Abuse, according to PA Child Protective Services Law, means to intentionally, knowingly or recklessly cause bodily harm, injury or exploitation to a child through any recent (within 2 years) act or failure to act.
- Who is a Mandated Reporter?
Adult iRun4Life volunteers are considered mandated reporters, and are required to report suspected child abuse if they have reasonable cause to suspect that a child is a victim of child abuse during the iRun4Life after school running program.
- When must Mandated Reporters submit a report or make a phone call?
PA Mandated Reporters are required to make a report of suspected child abuse as soon as they suspect there is child abuse by either calling 1-800-932-0313. (This toll-free number is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week with caseworkers waiting to assist you), or by submitting a report at ChildLine at www.compass.state.pa.us/cwis
New Jersey Mandated Reporters are required to call the NJ Child Abuse Hotline at 1-877-652-2873.
No written report is required.
In the case of an emergency, please call 911 first.
- In PA, what else needs to be done after making a report to Childline?
If an oral report was made to PA ChildLine, a form (CY47) needs to be filled out within 48 hours – go to www.keepkidssafe.pa.gov. If a report was made electronically, then nothing else is required.
- Does anyone within iRun4Life need to be notified after a report or call is made?
YES – after a report or phone call is made, please notify your iRun4Life School Director and Judy Wexler at 267-261-4000 or email her at judy@iRun4Life.com. The School principal will be notified as well.
If an allegation is made against one of the iRun4Life's volunteers, that individual will be suspended immediately until a formal investigation has been completed.
- Does a Mandated Reporter have to give their name and will the name be released?
State law requires that the mandated reporter identify themselves but the name is kept confidential.